SERVING THE ESSEX COMMUNITY WITH APPRECIATION
Skilled identity thieves use a variety of methods to steal your
personal information, including:
To learn more about Identity Theft and how to deter, detect and
defend against it, visit
- Dumpster Diving. They rummage through trash looking for bills
or other paper with your personal information on it.
- Skimming. They steal credit/debit card numbers by using a
special storage device when processing your card.
- Phishing. They pretend to be financial institutions or
companies and send spam or pop-up messages to get you to reveal
your personal information.
- Changing Your Address. They divert your billing statements to
another location by completing a “Change of Address” form.
- Old Fashioned Stealing. They steal wallets and purses, mail,
including bank and credit card statements, pre-approved offers,
and new checks or tax information. They steal personnel records
from their employers, or bribe employees who have access.
Place a Fraud Report 1-888-766-0008
Order a Credit Report 1-800-685-1111
Experian ( www.experian.com)
Place a Fraud Report 1-888-397-3742
Order a Credit Report 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion ( www.transunion.com)
Place a Fraud Report 1-800-680-7289
Order a Credit Report 1-800-888-4213
How to obtain a Free Credit Report:
For more information on how to Safeguard your information or to
report Identity Theft:
FDIC Consumer Resources :
Social Security Fraud Hotline:
Federal Trade Commission Theft Hotline: